Music Theory: The Essential Guide offers musicians of all ages and levels a practical and relevant guide to music theory today. Written and structured to make content as easily digestible as possible, this indispensable guide:
- Introduces key musical concepts such as pitch, tempo, rhythm, harmony, scales, instruments, musical forms and structure.
- Outlines the conventions governing music notation, demonstrating their relevance to the musical language of the twenty-first century.
- Provides interesting facts and real music examples to contextualise music theory.
- Offers practical tips on how to identify intervals, make up melodies and rhythms, set words to music and much more.
- Supports all aspects of the ABRSM Theory examinations (grades 1 to 5).
- Includes an introduction and ‘theory in practice’ notes by renowned educationalist Paul Harris.
- Contains quick-reference tools including an appendix, list of further repertoire examples, table of instruments, periods of music history, table of scales and modes and summary keys and time signatures.
Music Theory: The Essential Guide is a joint publication, published by Faber Music and Edition Peters.