This set of virtuoso etudes by Marc-Andre Hamelin, one of the world's leading pianists, was composed over a span of 25 years. It includes both original character pieces and also works that incorporate elements of, or refer back, to works by well-known composers. The publication of this volume coincides with the release of a new recording of the works, performed by Hamelin, on the Hyperion label.
- Detailed foreword by the composer in English and German
- No.1 in A minor "Triple Étude after Chopin"
- No.2 in E minor "Coma Berenices"
- No.3 in B minor "after Paganini-Liszt"
- No.4 in C minor "Étude à mouvement perpétuellement semblable (d'après Alkan)"
- No.5 in G minor "Toccata grottesca"
- No.6 in D minor "Esercizio per Pianoforte (Omaggio a Domenico Scarlatti)
- No.7 in E- minor "after Tchaikovsky (for the left hand alone)"
- No.8 in B- minor "Erlkönig (after Goethe)"
- No.9 in F minor "after Rossini"
- No.10 in F+ minor "after Chopin"
- No.11 in C+ minor "Minuetto"
- No.12 in A- minor "Prelude and Fugue